|.........Music.........|.........DJ.........|.........Production.........|.........Interviews.........|.........Parties.........|

Monday, November 30, 2009

Poskarr and xxxchange




I know I said I was going to do a regular Red Bull Studio column here, but I’m now doing a regular column on the studios on Electrotrash as well, so I needed to wait for something a little different.

If you haven’t heard about it by now, Popskarr is the latest Cape Town Nu-Disco endevour headed by South Africa’s blogosphere king, DJ Lapse and all-round musical dark-horse iamwave. The results heard so far are dark, anthemic disco / electro best exemplified by their debut release “Tonight”. A lot of the material they’re putting out at the moment was recorded here at the studio. In fact by month end we should have a juicy collaboration with the king of the music scene at the moment, or rather should I say disco dictator (which is a hint as to who I speak of).

The track I want to draw your attention to on this post is my own Biscope remix of Tonight. It’s dark, brooding Dubstep with angry bass. Not sure if it’s a dancefloor number per se, but it’s got feel.

Popskarr - Tonight (Biscope Remix) by biscope

The second part of this post has little relation to the first but I’ve been intending to write about this for a while. You see the thing I, this year I really lost interest in the indie-dance / nu-disco (as defined on Beatport) scene at the mo. Which sucks because it’s still very much alive and kicking, and I’m still getting booked to play dancey sets and not clear the floor with weird Dubstep.

So I thought I would post a Red Bull Music Academy Radio mix from xxxchange (of Spank Rock fame) who reinvigorated by love of the fours to the floors at Sonar some months back. This mix is in fact a live recording of that exact Sonar mix. I’ve pretty much based all my sets prior to this one of this set because it was that good when I heard it. And I wasn’t even on MDMA (just lots of booze).

What I think is so good about this set is it is an effortless mix of different styles and flavours. It’s all in here: jacking beats, house, hip-hop, hard-as-nails electro, synth pop, etc. It also contains a fresh and fierce energy that will make your hair stand on end. Check it out: