|.........Music.........|.........DJ.........|.........Production.........|.........Interviews.........|.........Parties.........|

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

You're not German? Or a Robot? Hmmm...

Calvin Harris. You know him. He's that dude who made some catchy pop a little while ago and has recently made some more.

I liked "Girls" and "Acceptable in the 80's" . They're fun. I didn't give them a whole lot of thought and I still don't really have a lot to say about them save for this - catchy pop that sticks in your head and makes you twitch is never a bad thing. With the abundance of crap that floats around each year, who are we to ask for more?

Barry Bostwick: Acceptable in the 80's

Truth be told, I'm not the person to be writing about Calvin Harris. He's not German or a even robot which, for practical reasons, immediately disqualifies him from my playlist... up until now.

There are those moments when emotions are running high and the crowd is raw. You've built from quiet to chaos and the last track you played was intense enough to strip the flesh off hardest dancing bastard. At times like these you can pack it in, play your final goodbye or you can do even more damage by paving the way for something harder. I like the idea of moving far away from vicious, just for a moment and choosing to play...

Something sweet - and by sweet I mean the dancefloor equivalent of a doctor popping a cheap sweet into the mouth of a weeping child.

Need To Feel Love (Adam K & Soha Vocal Mix) (Mediafire)

or

Something thought provoking - and here's why I care about young Master Harris today...

Calvin Harris - Im Not Alone (Deadmau5 Remix) (Mediafire)

This remix of "I'm Not Alone" is the work of Beatport darling Deadmau5 who couldn't produce a shit track if he tried. The reason that I'm writing about Calvin Harris and not Deadmou5 is because the genius behind this track, when you think about it, is the lyrics. They're profound in their simplicity and combined with Deadmou5's usual flare for the dramatic, well... Jesus... just listen to that bastard...

I like to imagine little vignettes when I'm screening potential set material. This one involved a past-his-prime clubber hearing this on the floor at the precise moment that his pills are kicking in properly. He'd be looking around at all the fresh faces, shedding a single tear down his puffy cheek and thinking about calling his ex to give it another shot because he can't even remember what all the fights were about anyway. I don't know why but the idea of that really warms my heart.