|.........Music.........|.........DJ.........|.........Production.........|.........Interviews.........|.........Parties.........|

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

In Praise of Long-ass Mixes


A friend of mine (If you said it, leave a note because I can't remember) recently said to me that long mixes have brought back the kind of listening pleasure that music on tape used to deliver. That's true in so many ways it's a little creepy. Single tracks are great and stuff, I spend the better part of day hunting them down and listening to them but when you get an hour or so of sharp, smart mixing the clarity of each track's intent becomes almost blinding.


A while back I found myself bored shitless with what I was playing. I didn't know what I needed at the time but I knew I wanted music that felt criminal, clinical, mechanised but undeniably primal. Music that spoke directly to the body. What I wanted was Techno. Jesus, just looking at the word prints a sneer on my face.

My answer came in the form of a lone podcast. On the UK based RK2 podcast you will find a staggering selection of mixes from niche DJs, hand picked from around the world by RK2's administrator and regular contributor, Korruptor. All the mixes are quality but for my money, the regular who stands out the most is Germany's Herbert Pryne. He has a whole mess of mostly dark Techno mixes posted on RK2 but the two I've linked to changed my perspective and gave me direction.

This Saturday is my last set at Bliss. There will be moments of corruption that would make Tricky Dick himself proud and fear that will leave you rabbit-eyed and shaking in the corner. Tempted? If you're in town, come.

148 Xinyi Road, Sec 4 (台北信義路四段148號)